Laverna - note taking web app
The application stores all your notes in your browser databases such as indexedDB or localStorage, which is good for security reasons, because only you have access to them.
- Markdown editor based on Pagedown
- Manage your notes, even when you're offline
- Secure client-side encryption
- Synchronizes with cloud storage services (currently only with Dropbox and RemoteStorage)
- Three editing modes: distraction free, preview, and normal mode
- WYSIWYG control buttons
- MathJax support
- Syntax highlighting
- No registration required
- Web based
There are several ways to start using Laverna:
- Open laverna.cc and start using it. No extra steps are needed.
- Use a desktop app.
- Use a prebuilt version from Laverna/static-laverna repository.
- Build it from the source code.
Desktop app installation
Download the latest Laverna release for your operating system. After downloading the archive, you need to unpack it. Then, in the unpacked folder you need to run an executable (laverna.exe for Windows, laverna for Linux and Mac).
Installation of a prebuilt version
$ wget https://github.com/Laverna/static-laverna/archive/gh-pages.zip -O laverna.zip
2. Unpack the downloaded archive
$ unzip laverna.zip
3. Open index.html in a browser
Open in your favorite browser the index.html file which is located inside laverna directory.
Installation from source
To install, do the following:
1. Install Git
This project requires that you have the latest version of git installed. To do so, see Installing Git (first-time users of git might want to check out the next section for configuring git).
Note: Windows users will have to set the PATH variable for git after installing it.
2. Clone repository:
For those who plan on contributing to the project's development , hit the fork button at the top of the page first (others can go on to the next step). Open a terminal, or command line, and navigate to the desired location of where you want to download the repository. Then enter the following commands to clone the repo:
# clone the repository $ git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:Laverna/laverna.git # navigate to the project directory cd laverna
3. Ensure you have the node.js platform installed. (See OS-specific instructions on their website).
4. Ensure you have the bower and gulp packages installed (locally and globally):
$ npm install bower $ npm install -g bower $ npm install gulp $ npm install -g gulp
5. Install Laverna's dependencies:
$ npm install $ bower install $ cd test $ bower install $ cd ..
6. Build minified version of Laverna:
$ gulp build
7. Start Laverna:
Do you have questions?
Please have a look in our wiki.
Coding Style Guidelines
Laverna uses the SJCL library implementing the AES algorithm. You can review the code at:
Published under MPL-2.0 License.
Laverna uses a lot of other libraries and each of these libraries use different licenses.